Yangon

From Myanmar
Jump to: navigation, search

Yangon, formerly called Rangoon in English, means "end of strife." Historically, it was called Dagon, derived from Tain-goat-tra.

After the conquest of Lower Myanmar in 1755, King Alaung Paya renamed the small old town of Dagon as Yangon (end of strife) and founded a new city on the old site. Yangon soon became a sea port when Syriam was destroyed by the king in 1756 as it had been the centre of European interests in the country. Its gradual development as a prosperous town and its elevation to the aimportant status of the capital city of Myanmar are in fact events of recent times. Though it is now quite modern, popular tradition traces back its history to the 11th century and its existence under classical names to more than two thousand years.

Today, Yangon is Myanmar capital and home to over 6 million people. (The history of Dagon is closely associated with that of the Shwedagon Pagoda. The place was known as Asitanjana or Okkala some five hundred years before the Chritian era. The highlight of any visit to Yangon, and indeed Myanmar itself, Shwedagon Pagoda s the most sacred of all Buddhist sites in the country).

Around Yangon

Bogyok Aung San (Scott) market

Shops and boutiques lining the quadrangular market and rows of stalls in the central shed stock foreign made textiles in fashion as well as the traditional silks and cottons in various designs including the distinctive patterns of the many indigenous races of the Union. Jewellery, leathergoods, and other accessories and toiletries are also much in evidence. Arts and crafts such as paintings, carvings, lacquerware, silverware with repousse work, handpainted Pathein parasols, mother-of-pearl knick knacks, and jade articles to name but a few, are to be found. There are also shops selling local fruits in season and imported ones, cut flowers, and artificial ones as well as those offering snacks and cold drinks for the famished or footweary shoppper.

Allied Forces War Memorial

This war memorial, where headstones for 27,000 servicemen of the Allied Forces and Commonwealth countries who had given up their lives on this front during the Second World War.